Wednesday, February 3, 2010

KA-BOOM!



Well I was coasting toward the end of January having spent $277.20 on my food/toiletries budget(before rebates that is).  Not too bad but not too great.

And then Friday daughter needed Gas-X(on doctor's orders)so I spent $23.75 at Wags on $30 worth and some Jello for #2 son as he was having dental surgery that morning, and he'd be needing that very soon.
I did get a $10RR so I didn't feel too badly about spending that $23.75 in the end.

Then I hit the grocery store(Weis) Friday evening and found a great sale on Ground Beef for $1 a lb!  I walked out of there with $20 less in my pocket and enough cow to fill a shelf in the freezer.

And then on Saturday I hit various Rite-Aids to get some more deals and finish out some other deals to the tune of $6.89 OOP but a profit of $1.61 AFTER SCRs + credit toward some Gift Card rebates too.

Then I hit CVS to spend some ECBs, use my Free Stacy's Q and do the Chips/Soda/Etc deal.  I found 1 pack of Ivory soap so got that for free before the $1/1 Q expired on Sunday.  I did the Chips/Soda deal but this store started next week's sales on Saturday so my ECBs didn't print, as the Lay's didn't ring up the right price...I bought 1 more bag and the cashier printed the ECBs manually.

Then I was naughty....imagine that SonyAnn!lol.....I saw that my card showed I still was $8 from getting the $10 ECBs for the Chips/Soda deal so when I went by another CVS and bought 3 more bags of Stacy's chips to test my theory.  Since the ECBs were printed manually at store #1, so my card still showed I was $8 away from getting $10 ECBs, I could get $10 more ECBs by buying $8 more of chips/soda items instead of the whole $20 worth.  3 bags of Stacy's was $9.  I used $9 in ECBs and the $10 ECBs printed.....bonus ECBs....lolol  So altogether, I ended up buying $29, spending $.98OOP put on a gift card, and gettting $20 in ECBs back.
I know it was wicked.....but who am I to stop CVS from giving me more ECBs?lol

So another $40 or so tacked onto the January budget spending for all of  Friday's/Saturday's spending wasn't so bad, considering all I got for that.

And then Sunday happened.
If you felt the ground shake and tilt on Sunday, that would have been the after affect of me blowing up the budget on Sunday.
To.
Smither
Eens.

We hit the Bread Outlet first.....hadn't been there in a bit and needed bread.
There went $6 for 3 loaves and 3 boxes of doughnuts for DH's evening snack.
A good deal.

Then we went to Big Lots to use that 20% off coupon.  I bought.....
14 1/2 gallons of juice
2 boxes of popcorn
2 corned beef hash
2 sloppy joe sauce
1 parsley
1 hot sauce
1 pudding for dental surgery boy
1 apricot jam for making my pork chops glaze
2 boxes of oatmeal pies
1 bag of rubber bands(DH's purchase)
$90+ worth of food had we bought it at the cheapest grocery store here on sale using coupons, spent $41.02 with Big Lots prices and the 20% off Q.

After Big Lots I just sort of lost my mind temporarily.

Yah see....it was the last day of January and all those lovely lovely coupons were.....were.....EXPIRING!

I felt like a possessed woman released from a prison who hadn't been in a store for a year, compelled to use those coupons......and spend, spend, SPEND!!!

We were off to Walmart since DH needed something there.  While I waiting on him, I picked up....
2 Beech-Nut baby foods for .08¢ each.
2 packs of Ivory Soap for .07¢ each.
4 Finish dishwasher tabs for $1.37 each.
2 cans of Sauerkraut for .42¢ each.
5 Duck packing tape for .67¢ each.

Then it was off to Price Chopper.
PC decided to gift us with TWO CATALINA DEALS this week!
Around here it's mostly famine but on a rare occasion we do get FEAST.
There is a Spend $30(reg. shelf price)/Get $10 OYNO Deals.
One for Unilever stuff.
Another one for Kraft stuff.
AND there are TWO Doublers in the Store ad!
DH and I went to PC to reconnoiter and gather the reg. shelf prices on items in those Catalina Deals.
I ran 1 transaction too, got my 1st $10 OYNO Cat and I've been rolling it once a day.  Once the extra Qs I ordered come in the mail, I'll step up the pace the rest of the week.  After the initial outlay to get the $10 Cat, I've been averaging about $3 OOP a transaction.  I've been picking up some items we need/want and the rest are flea market goods for the spring.....basically I pay for the couple of items we want/need with the OOP and the flea market stuff is free so everything I sell will be gravy. ;-)

Sunday night I hit Rite-Aid to do this week's deals....spending about $8 OOP and I'll get $9.99 back in SCRs and I have credit toward the Healthy Heart SCR and the Nivea Products SCR Gift Cards.

I finished off Sunday by hitting Weis markets to get 5 free Marcal Small Steps items, 2 tubs of Heluva Good Dip & 2 boxes of Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage for daughter for $1 ea.....and a big containers of ricotta cheese to make Monday night's Stuffed Shells dinner per my Meal Plan.  $6.62 OOP with a savings of 72% according to my receipt from Weis.

So, this is just my way of explaining what I've been doing and why I haven't finished totaling up my January receipts yet.  I'm still pulling receipts out of bags as I put things away in between runs of Price Chopper and Rite-Aid this week.
I'll get them finished off and the books closed on January, hopefully tomorrow.

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh....my head is totally SPINNING after reading all of your deals. I am totally impressed.

    Trust me on this one....If I lived closer to you, I would tag along on one of your trips to learn from you, the "Master" of coupon saving! :

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom & I did the same thing at CVS a couple of weeks ago when the pepsi/tostito's deal was going on. I looked at my receipt when I got home and realized since they had to manually print out the $10 ECB we just had to spend another $7 to get another $10 ECB.....score!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you said my name in your post! I'm a bad influence and I love it!
    I have decided that I'm just not smart enough to get the deals that you do. I wish that you lived closer and I could just follow you around and maybe then I could grasp it.
    And OMG what is going on with everyone in your family having dental work! The tooth fairy must be broke!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way - I'm in awe of what you accomplish deal-wise, but don't feel I have the synapse power to come up with these ideas myself. I would tag along, too :) Probably periodically drop down on my knees and bow in your direction...

    Seriously :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.