Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ritz CRACKERFULS Taste Test Product Review

Disclaimer.....the opinion expressed below is unbiased and mine alone.  I did not receive any product or payment from the manufacturer of said product in exchange for a review. 


 I wanted to do the Keep the Jingle in Your Holidays Kraft Rebate a few weeks ago--the one that is valid from 12/1 through 1/31--under Brother-in-Law's name.  Buy 10 select Kraft/Nabisco/Planters item and get a check for $10 back.  Price Chopper had the appropriate crackers on sale for $2 and with the $1/1 Qs I had, the crackers were $1.  So the 10 boxes cost me $10 and I will get $10 back....free crackers!

One of the crackers valid for this rebate are those Ritz Crackerfuls that came out late last year.  I had yet to try them, so I picked up a few boxes among the 10 boxes of crackers I bought.  I like those little traditional cheese cracker sandwiches & I've heard other people locally rave over these Crackerful things, so I went into this thinking I'd like these.

First off, let's look at the box....



The contents weighs in at 6 ounces.
There are 6 crackers in the box.
That's 6 servings of 1 cracker sandwich each.
Each cracker sandwich is approximately 5" long.



I took a bite......sort of like the cheese crackers I remembered from my youth, but something was off or different.

So I tasted the cracker alone and found that the cracker component of these sandwiches was so SWEET!  Chock full of sugar-like substances according to the ingredient list on the box.
First I noticed the texture of the filling was very different from the traditional sandwiches filling.  This one had the consistency of a combination of marshmallow and the weight of floam--light and grainy with a pastel peach color.


Then I tasted the filling.
It was like having a salt lick in my mouth!
UGH!
Combining the overly sweet cracker with the salt lick filling gives you a classic sweet/salty flavor combination that is very popular and well liked.  But it was not an enjoyable mouth experience. I hardly got ANY cheese flavor, just the salt component.
Ok, maybe a little bit of a chemical cheese flavor like boxed Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.

The box claims these Crackers contain 5g of Whole Grain and Real Cheese.

But I counted THIRTY ingredients on the side panel.  Besides what they tout as ingredients, there was also Sugar, Assorted Oils, Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Color Extracts, Artificial Colors, etc.
That's THREE KINDS of SUGARS.
Get out your magnifying glass to see all the ingredients!


And each cracker sandwich is wrapped individually in a coated mylar packaging.  Inside each wrapper the cracker is snuggled inside a white paperboard sleeve.

At least the outer box is 100% recycled paperboard.

And the calorie count is 130 PER Cracker Sandwich.
And 230mg of Salt per Sandwich(10% of your PDVs for sodium in one cracker).

Lastly, the regular suggested retail on a box of this Crackerfuls is $3.49.
6 Crackers.
$3.49.
That's .58¢ per 5" cracker.

I don't think I'll be buying these again.

Thumbs down Nabisco.....

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. boo, Nabisco! Those sound awful!!! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the review sluggy! the local paper just came out with a coupon for these and I was going to buy them for my non-vegan guests. Good thing I checked your blog before going shopping!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had bought these last year when they first came out and there was a coupon "buy ritz and get a box of crackerfuls for free".

    I still have the box with 5 of those crackers in there. Did.not.like.at.all!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.