Monday, January 11, 2010

Meal Plan Monday.....January 11th Edition....Using my Food Budget to Stock-Up A Bit





Last Week's Menu Postmortem...

We had about half of the meals as I had planned them.  Some nights we just didn't feel like what was slated and I have so much in my freezer and stockpile that we just substituted something else I already have on hand or we worked on some leftovers.
One dinner that was a last minute substitution was GREAT!  I had a roll of Italian Sausage....not links but a loose sausage meat roll.  This had been hanging out in the freezer door too long so it had to get used.  What I did was brown and crumble the meat, then I boiled a box of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta and made a pot of Spaghetti Sauce from scratch and added the sausage meat to that.  Dump the Penne and the Sauce into a casserole and top with Shredded Mozzarella.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Add a salad and you've got a tasty, hearty, cold weather beater dinner!  And better still, no money was spent this week on it.

I've moved a few of the meals to this week, and adjusted my plan to accomodate the relative that is visiting us this week.

Here's what I will be serving our family of 6 this Week.....

MONDAY--Fried Calamari(freezer), Garlic Shells in Butter Sauce(stockpile), Carrots(freezer)
TUESDAY--Taking the Relative out for Dinner
WEDNESDAY--Boston Baked Beans(stockpile),Cornbread(stockpile)
THURSDAY--Pork Ragu(stockpile/freezer) Garlic Bread, Creamed Spinach(freezer)
FRIDAY--Chicken Alfredo with Vegetables(freezer/leftover/stockpile)
SATURDAY--Leftovers-only 2 family members home for dinner
SUNDAY--Roast Chicken, Roast Veggies, Mashed Potatoes(freezer/stockpile)
SNACKS/DESSERTS--Pineapple(stockpile), Applesauce(stockpile), Brownies(stockpile), Birthday Cake(stockpile)

Last week I spent $88.44 on food/toiletries....$73.05 at Weis, $7.26 at Rite-Aid, $7.13 at Carone's and $1.00 at CVS.
$32.88 that was spent, was for food/toiletry needs that were used in that week.  $55.56 was in future needs/wants.  About half of that $55.56 was on meat which I got very inexpensively.

After assorted rebates on the goods purchased(naked juice, kraft/planters nuts, full price rebate on shampoo, various items for Rite-Aid Single Check Rebate)amounting to $37.99, my OOP spending for the week is $50.45.

Food Waste Report....1 small cube of cheese(about 1"x 1"x1/2" thick)that wasn't worth scraping the mold off of and 1 slice of bread(a heel)that went moldy too.

Since I bought Molasses last week, this week's menu only requires milk, sliced cheese(for #2 son's back up meal of choice-grilled cheese)and bread stock-up. I do want to stock-up on more Progresso Soup on sale this week at Weis as well as more Naked Juice to do the rebate for BIL.
$25 should do it for weekly needs so I'll reserve the other $37.50 of the food budget for stock-ups if I find something worth getting at a good price.

I think that next week, after #1 son goes back to college and the relative leaves, I'm going to have a NO Grocery Store Shopping Week.  I hope Weis doesn't decide to do a rare good Catalina Deal next week!lolol

Check out ORGANIZING JUNKIE to see what other Home Cooks are serving this week.

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. "Last Week's Menu Postmortem..."LOL!
    It's a good idea to have a no spend week but I think that if Weis has more good deals, all bets are off! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I wish I could be that organized... I don't even know what I am making for dinner tonight I have a lot to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.