Thursday, October 1, 2009

How to Buy Meat If You Shop at Weis Markets

If you are a Weis Grocery Store shopper you know that they run their sales ads from Thursday to Wednesday.  Most  grocery stores around here in PA run their weekly ads from Sunday to Saturday, but not Weis or Mr. Z's markets.  Most times it puts a monkey wrench into my weekly shopping plan and I find myself having to scramble to get to the store before a sale ends.  But as a SAH/WAH Mom I have found that there is one advantage with them beginning and ending sales during the week and not on a weekend.  I find there are fewer customers in the store during the week, so if you find a good deal/a great sale item during a weekday, you can get a jump on most shoppers to get to the deal before they run out.

Here's a heads up on the BEST TIME to shop for meat at Weis.  Either late on Wednesday evening or early on Thursday morning.  As they run their meat specials from thursdays to wednesdays, these two times are the best times to look for meats that are discounted.  They will mark down the ending week's meat sales items at this time of the 'change over' in ads.  And occasionally, you can find the "Perfect Storm" situation where they have marked down the sale's meats AND the packages are coming up on the Sell By Date and they also have put a $XX Off Sticker on the packages.

I had to pop into Weis this morning to pick up some OJ for #2 son who is home sick from school today with a cold and to get an adjustment on a receipt from a previous trip where I was overcharged for some items.  I made a quick run by the meat counters and found The Perfect Storm! 8-))




I picked up 8 packages of meat(3 steak/1 ribs/4 boneless pork chops). 8 of the packages had between $1.50 & $3 off stickers on them & 6 of the packages were also discounted per lb.  The average price per lb. of all the packages was $4.77.  After all the discounts, the average price per lb. I paid was $1.58!  I bought a total of 10.91 lbs. of meat valued at $51.98 for $17.23.  That comes to just under $1.58lb! & a Savings of 67% on meat!!
Woohoo!

Between the Catalina Deal on the Smoked Sausage/Brats & the Chicken BOGO with the $X Off stickers on the packages at Weis last week, the $1.69lb. Ground Beef & Pork Chops at Shop-Rite last week and now more Pork Chops, Ribs & Steak today at Weis, my freezer is stuffed full for Very little money.

Bring on Winter.....well, not quite yet.lol

Do you buy meat?  When have you found is the best time to find deals on meats?
Why don't you leave a comment below and share your tips on how you save money on buying meat for your family.  Maybe what you do will help someone else out. ;-)

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Nice nice nice!!!! I was just so thrilled at their fryer chickens on sale for 59-cents/lb, I didn't even scope out the rest of the meat dept. I'll keep your tip in mind and try hitting them up Wednesday evenings - thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.