Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Was sitting in the family room Monday morning and hubby yelled to me to quick turn around and look out the back door, quick before it left or the hounds started yelping at it.
"IT" turned out to be a Pheasant!
Yep, there was a female pheasant walking across our back deck.

I tried to get a photo but there are those blind-thingies inside the glass of our french doors....they louver open or close but you can't pull them up out of the way.
So the big white 'stripes' in these shots are the blinds.


Pheasant with it's head down pecking at something on the deck.


Pheasant sticking it's head through the railing and about to hop off the deck into the yard...

Right after I snapped that shot, the beagles caught a whiff of the pheasant and it was instant chaos and bedlam in the house.lolol

That's the first pheasant I've ever seen around here.  Use to see them lots around our old house in the Poconos, along with the deer, bear, turkeys, raccoons, possums, etc.  The old house was in a largely undeveloped gated summer community bordered by a state forest and a state gamelands.  We were lousy with critters!lol
Not so much lousy with 'em in the rural suburban area here on the mountain.

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Cool! One morning when I was putting out our Basset hound, I opened the garage back door and the biggest raccoon you ever saw had the dog food dish tilted towards it and was putting a little paw with food in it towards it's mouth. It froze. We froze. All of the sudden, the bedlam as you mentioned. But for that split second, time stood still as raccoon, dog & owner stood stock still staring at each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sluggy, That is fabulous!! I can safely say I have never in all my long-legged life encountered a pheasant that wasn't dead and taxidermied. How beautiful! Maybe she will leave you a feather or two to stick in your cap? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I know it is extremely compacty and economical to have dinner wander up to the house for you, but I would truly rather not read about the pheasant dinner on your Monday Menu posting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.