Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Crockpotting Your Steel Cut Oats


So I love me some Steel Cut Oats for Breakfast.
It's good for you and it's yummy with the addition of various fruits and/or spices.
But it just takes FOREVER to cook on the stovetop!
Or at least it seems that way.

Most people get up Hungry.
You want to eat NOW, not in 30 or 45 minutes.
So you reach for a less healthy alternative to your oats....like a Toaster Pastry or a Doughnut or a Danish.
Because it's there.
Because it's ready to eat.

So here is a trick to have your Oats ready to eat when you roll out of bed in the morning so you don't reach for the sweet carb-loaded bread products.

Get out your Crockpot & slow cook 'em!

Yep, your crockpot.
It's genius I tell ya, genius!

Before going to bed, put the desired amount of steel cut oats in your crockpot with the appropriate amount of water and salt.
Turn your crockpot on LOW.
Go to bed.
In the morning, turn the crockpot off.
Your oats will be ready to dish out and add whatever you like to add--sweeteners, spices, nuts, etc.
Eat and Enjoy!

Personally, I'm going to try making Apple & Cinnamon Oats for tomorrow morning.
I'll put the oats, water & salt in and then add a little apple juice and spices like cinnamon & ginger.
Then I'll set it to cook on low overnight.
In the morning, I'll add some walnuts, brown sugar and a freshly chopped up apple before serving.

Crockpot Oats is great for a quick breakfast for the kids rushing off to school or the grown-ups rushing off to work with no time to fix anything.

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. I so want to try this, but I remember reading on an Alton Brown Food Network forum (after he did a show on oats and mentioned this method) that a number of people tried it and woke up to burning oats. Since I don't know what my slow cooker will do on low for 8 hours, I'm tempted to try "overnight cooking" them all day on the weekend sometime, just to see if letting it go on Low for 8 hours will work or be too hot too long :) Thanks for the reminder about how yummy these are!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.