Thursday, July 16, 2009

On the Road Again & What Not to Eat in WVA

Hubby & I had to take a trip to VA the week of the 4th. Drove down on Wednesday, stayed over Thursday and then on Friday, we had to drive to PA near Lake Erie(the western end of the state for those who don't know their PA geography). We slept over at a motel there because we had to pick up #2 son from camp the next morning and then drive the 6 hours home.
It was a brutal 12 hour drive on Friday....12 hours EXACTLY from the time we left the driveway at my brother's house in VA to when we pulled up to the door of the motel in PA.

We took I-64 West into West VA. To avoid having to go all the way to Charleston to pick up I-79 North, we took local Rte. 60 to Rte. 19 north once we got into WVA. Rte.60 was a wind-y road up a mountain and back down again. We stopped for gas at the first town we came to while on Rte. 60. No stoplights and ALOT more teeny tiny than the teeny tiny town where I live. There was a gas station, a bank, a garage and I snapped a pic of the other "sight" in town while sitting in the car waiting on hubby to pay for the gas.


Nice to know you can pawn your jewelry AND buy a gun or get your ammo all in the same place!
We made ok time but hit Pittsburgh right at rush hour too! I thought it would be horrible but surprisingly, the traffic was not.

West Virginia has some gorgeous scenery. But you don't want to eat Mexican food there. We stopped in some little town, near Summerville Lake. There were 3 dining options in the shopping plaza we pulled off into....a Bob Evans(our original reason for pulling in there to eat), a Chinese Restaurant(a buffet type place I believe)& a local Mexican Restaurant. Hubby loves him some Mexican food and we hadn't had it in awhile so I suggested we go there instead of Bob's(since you can eat at Bob's everywhere). That was NOT one of my better ideas it turns out! Bob's, the SAFE choice, would have been the way to go. We got some combo plates of food. The filling for my enchiladas and hubby's burritos was plain ground beef....NO seasonings at all! It was so tasteless!!
The photo on the menu of my combo dinner showed a chile relleno(a battered & fried mild poblano pepper stuffed with cheese, served w/a sauce and melted cheese on top). What arrived was a SLIVER off of a pepper under a glop of sauce & cheese. There were also not enough servers for the number of customers. This place had 2 large rooms of tables and there were 2 servers. No one bussed the dirty tables in the hour we were there, so we were surrounded by trash and yuck and out of control children. After waiting upwards of 20 min. for the check, I walked up to the register and told the guy there I wanted to pay but our waiter had disappeared and I wasn't waiting any longer for a check and here was what we ordered.lolol
I should have raised a stink about the poor food too or told him I just had a soda or something and not paid for this inedible garbage they served but I don't think he had a very good handle on the language yet and I just wanted OUT of there!
Ugh.
The place was called La Carreta or something like that. Looks like there are 3 of them locally in WVA. Take my advise if you are in southern WVA...stick to Bob's. ;-)
At least there were no "gastic repercussions" later from our horid meal....if you get my drift. ;-))

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, what a shame! Good thing it didn't give you more trouble later, tho :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.