Monday, June 15, 2009

Meal Plan Monday.....June 15th Edition

Well if you are a regular reader of my blog,you know already that last week's meal plan was a disaster because, well.....there WAS NO MEAL PLAN!lol

The relatives are all gone finally.
2 of the 3 kids are gone as of this morning too.
I am slowly picking up the pieces today(of laundry, of used glasses and plates, of trash left behind, of dog bedding due to a sick dog who's having a hard time getting outside in time-if you know what I mean!ick, & of shopping bags from shopping I did over the last few days that I haven't had a chance to put away).

So no Meal Plan and I had to wing it last week. Except for shelling out $44+ at the grocery store last Monday morning(for ingredients Sis-in-law needed to make Pasta Salad she wanted to make for the Graduation Cook-Out Lunch)& the $60+ trip to Bob Evans for dinner hubby decided we needed Wed. night, I did ok feeding all the crew on mostly what I had on hand. My brain is so fried though, that I can't recall most of what I made for dinner last week!lol

I do recall the Steak Enchiladas I threw together on Friday.
We invited BIL & the Nephew over for our Mexican Fiesta night since nephew LOVES all Mexican Food.
I had 2 packages of stew beef in the freezer I wanted to use up as part of my Cleaning out the Freezer Challenge. I put that into the crockpot along with a roughly chopped large onion and a baggy full of red bell peper strips I froze last fall from the farm stand. I cooked that until the beef was pretty tender(about 4 hours on high), then I took it out to cool and sliced/tore the stew pieces into smaller pieces for the enchilada filling. Put it back into the crockpot with mexican spices like cumin, garlic, chili powder, paprika, etc.(You could just use a packet of premixed taco or fajita seasoning instead.) I let that simmer while I opened the refried beans(pantry stockpile), grated the jack & cheddar cheeses and thawed out the tortillas(all stockpiled in the freezer). I also made enchilada sauce(from stockpiled tomato puree).
I smeared some refrieds on the tortilla, put on 2 big spoonfuls of the seasoned beef and then a handful of cheese. Roll it up and put into the casserole pan. Cover with Enchilada Sauce and grated Cheeses. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 min. or so. While the Enchiladas baked, I made the Knorr Mexican Rice side dish(also from stockpile)in a pan on the stovetop & heated up the Green Giant Corn(stockpile again).

The FOOD WASTE report....the doggies had nice leftovers added to their kibble almost every night. Just the dribs & drabs of leftovers nobody wanted to eat.
Hubby is the cause of half a watermelon going bad. After it was cut up, we had half left. So I told him to put it into the cooler on the back deck as we had no room in the fridge(we had ice and drinks in there for the Cook-Out). So 2 days later I was looking for the watermelon to serve it.
Nope, not in the cooler. I figured one of the masses of people wandering in and out of the house this past week had eaten it.
On Friday, I happened to open the OTHER COOLER SITTING ON THE DECK THAT WE HADN'T BEEN USING.
Guess what was in there?
Yep.....

So now I have a formerly luscious melon rotting away in my compost pile while I ask myself, "Why would someone put a half a watermelon in a hot cooler with no ice?"
A hubby not thinking and just doing what he's told, that's who.


Back to the Menu....
We are down to 3 people this week, so I am taking it easy & making it simple. Lots of quick stuff and things I can use up from the freezer/stockpile.

Here's what is on the Menu at Sluggy's house this week.

SUNDAY-Steak Quesadilla(from leftover Steak Enchilada filling), Salad

MONDAY-Pizza, Salad

TUESDAY-Hot Dogs, Potato Salad, Applesauce

WEDNESDAY-Tuna w/Noodles in Alfredo Sauce, Peas

THURSDAY-Rigatoni w/Spaghetti Sauce, Salad

FRIDAY-Grilled Fish, Baby Mixed Veggies on Grill w/Mrs. Dash's

SATURDAY-Grilled Italian marinated Chicken, Rice w/Mushrooms, Grilled Summer Veggie Mix

SUNDAY-Dinner Out/Kid to Camp

DESSERTS FOR THE WEEK-Brownies, Fresh Fruit Salad

All I need for this Menu are some Hot Dog Rolls and some fresh veggies(after I see what is still usable from the $44 Pasta Salad trip veggies). Everything else on the list is in the stockpile or freezer.
Hopefully, I can refrain from making too much of anything, since I am not use to feeding ONLY 3 people at a meal.

Organizing Junkie is the home to Menu Plan Monday. Go see what's on her and many other Home Cooks' Menus for the week at Organizing Junkie's Website.

Sluggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.