Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Breaking my WalMart Fast & Jimmy Who??

Remember back in early May when Kraft Foods released all those Kraft product coupons through Coupons.com and on various Grocery stores' websites?
Well the bulk of all those Qs I printed were expiring on June 10th. I didn't notice until I was rooting around in an old envelope and dug out the stack of $1.50/1 Kraft Salad Dressing Qs I still had that were expiring June 10th. Tucked behind that stack were all these IP Kraft Qs. Boy, did that month fly by!lolol

So after my day of Braces, CVS & Wags, Hubby took us out to Bob Evans for dinner and then SIL said she'd like to accompany me to WalMart to use some of these expiring Qs.

I have to tell ya'll that I haven't set foot in a Walmart since Before Easter. It's not someplace I go for deals, especially on Weekends. The one here is just K-razy on weekends. Too many people who could seriously use some additional bathing, in too close proximity to me. 8-P
Just walking into that place makes me sad.....I can't explain it but it does.

So we hiked down the mountain to STUFF-MART to see what deals we could find.

Here's the haul....
8x Kraft Salad Dressings @ $1.58=$12.64
4x Sierra Mist 2ltrs. @ $1.48(EEK!)=$5.92
2x Kraft Mayo @ $2.74=$5.48
5x Ritz Bits @ $2.00=$10.00
1x Ritz Crackers @ $2.50=$2.50
4x Alpo Dog Food @ $.67=$2.68
4x A-1 Steak Sauce @ $2.98=$11.92
3x Graham Crackers @ $2.50=$7.50
1x Nabisco Cookie Packs @ $3.98=$3.98
2x Kraft Deluxe Dinners @ $1.98=$3.96
5x Pace Salsas @ $2.48=$12.40
3x Pace Sauces @ $2.84=$8.52
8x Kraft Easy Mac Cups @ $.88=$7.04
2x Baked Lay's Potato Chips @ $3.28=$6.56
1x Kashi Waffles @ $2.54=$2.54
Subtotal.....$103.64
Tax.......$.52

Coupons Used....
8x Kraft Salad Dressings @ $1.50/1=$12.00
2x Sierra Mist 2ltrs. @ BOGO=$2.96
2x Kraft Mayo @ $1/1=$2.00
5x Ritz Bits @ $1/1=$5.00
1x Ritz Crackers @ $1/1=$1.00
2x Alpo Dog Food @ BOGO=$1.34
4x A-1 Steak Sauce @ $1/1=$4.00
3x Graham Crackers @ $1/1=$3.00
1x Nabisco Cookie Packs @ $1.00/1=$1.00
2x Kraft Deluxe Dinners @ $1/1=$2.00
3x Pace Salsas/Sauces @ $4/1=$12.00
4x Kraft Easy Mac Cups @ $1/2=$4.00
2x Baked Lay's Potato Chips @ $1/1=$2.00
1x Kashi Waffles @ $1.50/1=$1.50
Subtotal.............$54.80

$104.16-$54.80=$49.36OOP

Value of Items....$103.64
Savings of.....53%

I only bought stuff I knew the family would eat. The deals weren't wonderful, just ok.

Looking at it all now I can see that about half of what I got can be labeled 'junk'. Ok, the graham crackers aren't too bad but soda, ritz crackers, cookies, chips and all that Mac & Cheese with marginal nutritional value....hello!lol
The lesson here.....sometimes using up coupons just to use them up is NOT worth it.
The deals weren't amazing and I bought lots of junk. Yah, the junk will get eaten(probably before the 'good' food will!lol). At least I bought baked chips, right? That's a little better....

I REALLY wanted to use the Qs I had for frozen food items...like the Kashi Waffles and such but turns out our Walmart is in the midst of remodeling. All but 1/2 of 1 aisle of Frozen Food Cases were emptied out and shut off, so no frozen food for me!
My first thought when I saw the remodeling notices was...."Great! Now they'll be jacking up the prices. Everytime I've been in a WalMart AFTER they fancy it up(I think WalMart has a serious case of TARGET Envy!), the prices are higher than before the remodel. I'm sure the faux wood floors are WalMart's justification for charging more for their indonesian child labor sweatshop clothing that falls apart the 1st time you wash it.

There was also a HUGE HOLE right in the middle of the food section of the store, near the back where the open refridgerated cases for meats and the soda/paper products aisles use to be. Next to the hole was a Huge Backhoe looking machine surrounded by some boards they had put up to keep people out of the area. I briefly thought about taking a pic of it but knowing WalMart, I wasn't in the mood to be asked to leave the premises after schlepping up & down all those aisles & before I was checked out at the register.

I asked the Cashier about the backhoe thingy and she said every night at around 9:30 they start drilling and banging and they don't stop until 7 am. This is a 24 hr. WalMart & the cashier works nights. She said she goes home every morning with a headache from the nocturnal cacophony. I asked her what they were digging and she shrugged her shoulders. My guess is they are installing an underground missle silo right in the middle of WalMart....who would suspect, right?
Hey, with the way North Korea is headed, might not be a bad idea.

Either that or they are looking for Jimmy Hoffa again..... ;-)

At any rate, it will be some time before I set foot in WalMart again.
Did I just use the word AGAIN enough for you?
Thought so.....

Next time.....Back to K-Mart for more fun w/Double Coupons!

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been in a Walmart in a year! I'm not sure if they have good deals, but I'm not too sure I'd even want to know if they did. With so many places around here to shop - I just consider myself pretty darnedl ucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! I totally agree about the overall feeling of "sad" upon entering a Wally World store. I am actually hoping the big remodel (our's has a sign saying "25 more days to the new Wal Mart" - woohoo!) is actually making the departments that are finished moving look a lot nicer. So maybe the remodel will be okay, but I will be p-o'd if it's an excuse to raise prices again.

    I would say the $1.50 Kraft dressing coupons were the bomb with WM pricing the bottles at $1.58. We are set for a LOT of good salads now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty--make sure you rotate that salad dressing stock. The mayo based ones tend to go bad faster than the oil/vinegar varieties.

    I really don't approve of stores remodeling. Some of the best deals I've gotten have been in cavernous ugly old dark stores...lol I don't need a 'pleasant shopping experience'. The bottom line for me is my bottom line.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.