Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Meal Plan Monday...May 25th Edition Quick & Easys


The Meal Plan for last week?
I never got my act together in time to post it.
It was a crazy sort of week due to the fact that the support staff at the high school & middle school here was on strike, so I had 3 teens home at noon each day.
What a blessing and a joy!<---total sarcasm
I sort of made the Meal Plan up 2 days at a time as we went through the week, pulling most things from my stockpile or freezer.
The highlights were the LOBSTERS(a treat for $5.99lb. at Shop Rite!),Corned Beef/Cabbage/Carrots/Potatoes, Lasagna, Pizza-all from the stockpile or the previous week's shopping, except for the head of cabbage and the Lobsters. But sometimes, life is like that...the not planning ahead thing. It's at times like this, that it's a great thing to have a stockpile to pull from instead of having to run to the grocery store every night. Having a 'store' here that I've purchased everything at a low cost to rummage through sure beats being in the 'real store' rummaging for tonight's dinner at RETAIL prices!lol
As far as last week's Meal Plan, let's just start fresh this week, shall we?
The FOOD WASTE report for last week....with daughter dieting and #1 son no longer in wrestling season & #2 son becoming a mercurial eater, I really need to scale back how much I cook. There were so many leftovers from the previous week and a bit more this past week(but not as much as the previous week, at least). The doggies have been eating lots of leftovers with their kibble! I sure don't like spending all this money & then feed our food to them. Scaling back is what needs doing here.
I did spent some time cleaning the fridge 2 weeks back & again 2 days ago. I still need to get the bottom half done later this week. Which leads me to the Food Waste this past week, which was some old food items dug out of the back of the fridge Sunday. I did feed the leftovers we didn't consume to the doggies but the old jar of roasted red peppers(what a waste...I love those!), an old opened jar of spaghetti sauce & 1 looooong expired yogurt were unfit for even dogs and pitched out.
The only items I need to buy for this week's menu are the salad/sandwich greens & a tomato..oh and some sliced cheese as #2 son is still on a grilled cheese sandwich kick.
This week is chock full of standard meals for my house, with not much fancy stuff or experimenting. No baking from scratch either. I have much cleaning and organizing to do as relatives are coming soon, so meals are simple and quick here this week. No expensive meats or ingredients this week either so most of what I'm serving is pretty low cost.
Did I say 'this week' enough times for you in that paragraph?lol


Here's what is on the Menu at Sluggy's house this week.

MONDAY-Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Potato Salad, Grilled Yellow Squash

TUESDAY-Baked Fish, Mushroom Rice, Brussel Sprouts w/Bacon

WEDNESDAY-Spaghetti & Meatballs(Beef or Turkey), Salad

THURSDAY-Club Sandwiches & Soup(might be Homemade Clam Chowder)

FRIDAY-Tacos, Corn, Spanish Rice

SATURDAY-Chinese Out for Lunch, Leftovers for Dinner

SUNDAY-Chili, Cornbread

DESSERTS FOR THE WEEK-Watermelon, Ice Cream, Chocolate Brownie Cookies(from the Pepperidge Farm Outlet)


Organizing Junkie is the home to Menu Plan Monday. Go see what's on her and many other Home Cooks' Menus for the week at Organizing Junkie's Website.


Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will post on how you bake your fish ! I am always looking at others spice combos (cuz i am stuck in a rut ) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW that rut well.lol
    I am thinking of experimenting on the family this week in regards to the fish. I usually just broil fish in the oven or bake/steam it in a foil pouch out on the grill with whatever spices my mood tells me to splash on it....lemon pepper is a fav, or some Mrs. Dash or some chili & bbq blend(and even a marinade if I get it thawed out way ahead or use fresh fish).
    Anyway, I saw a treatment for chicken breast involving dipping it in ranch dressing(all that free kraft salad dressing anyone?lol), and dredging in panko crumbs & baking. Not sure about the combination of flavors(might do a honey mustard dressing instead) but it should come out moist. I'll let ya'll know how it comes out. I forgot to thaw the fish on Tuesday so we had sandwiches/soup. Will do the fish on friday instead and move the tacos to thursday.
    Check back later.-sluggy

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.