Monday, May 11, 2009

Meal Plan Monday May 11th Edition Easy Week!


The Meal Plan for last week went off mostly without a hitch, except for the Scallops & Fish. They just didn't happen...(what is it with me and seafood??lol).
And the Pork BBQ happened Sat. instead of Fri. The Pork BBQ almost didn't happen at all. I tried 3 times last week to locate a pork rump or shoulder to cook down but none of the grocery stores here had ANY Pork roasts....just some spareribs and chops.
I FINALLY located a 9.5lb. Pork Shoulder on special for .99¢ lb. What a great deal that was!! So I cooked that hog low and slow over 1.5 days and we'll get 3 or 4 meals out of that. Whatever doesn't get eaten this week will be frozen to have next month. The dogs are certainly loving all those lovely pork drippings, fat and scraps I saved for their dinner bowls.lol
As for the FOOD WASTE report for last week....we had a few grapes (that #1 son took when he was sick and didn't eat, but couldn't put back in the bag), a piece of lamb that never made it into the doggies food bowls, and about 4 overripe getting moldy strawberries hidden in the bottom of the container of strawberries I bought.
I really NEED to do a 'take everything out and scrub down the fridge' badly! Especially before the hubby's relatives arrive in 3 weeks for #1 son's graduation. Perhaps I'll get to that this week. Hubby will be in Canada for a work conference half of the week, so meals for most of this week will be quick, easy and lowkey. I don't foresee stocking up the fridge with groceries, so it will be a good time to do that scrubdown.
The Bargain Meal this week would have to be the Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. I'll probably use about $7.00 in ingredients, which I already have here. My kids can each eat 2 sandwiches so there's almost an entire loaf of bread($1.99 on sale) and 3/4lb. of cheese($3.75). The soup(2 cans)are the cheapest part of this meal...2 cans I got at Target on sale for $.54 each($1.08 total). Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter(.10¢) & applesauce on the side(.14¢ at Target on sale)and you've got a filling meal(double helpings for 4)for $7.06 or $1.76 per person.
The only items I need to buy for this menu are the large Mushrooms for the Parmesan and Romaine Lettuce for the Caesar Salad and either Graham Crackers or a ready-made Graham crust for the Key Lime Pie and the weekly milk pick-up. Another eating from the Pantry/Stockpile Week for us.

I'll post a recipe for the Stuffed Waffles and the Bourbon Bacon Scallops later in the week, after I've served them, so check back.
Here's what is on the Menu at Sluggy's house this week.
MONDAY-Leftovers(tons of odds & ends in the fridge to eat)

TUESDAY-Meatloaf, Broiled Potatoes & Onions, Creamed Spinach

WEDNESDAY-Grilled Cheese, Tomato Soup

THURSDAY-Breakfast for Dinner...Stuffed Waffles

FRIDAY-Burgers on the Grill, Potato Salad, Corn on the Cob

SATURDAY-Mushroom Parmesan, Caesar Salad

SUNDAY-Bourbon Bacon Scallops, Stir-Fried Veggies, Rice

DESSERTS FOR THE WEEK-Carrot Cake, Key Lime Pie, Oranges


Organizing Junkie is the home to Menu Plan Monday. Go see what's on her and many other Home Cooks' Menus for the week at Organizing Junkie's Website.


Sluggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.