Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Lost Weekend a la Couponing


Have you ever seen that old movie, The Lost Weekend? It starred Ray Milland as a drunk who went off on an alcohol induced bender. He got the DTs & saw him some mighty big pink elephants in that film.

Well I feel like ol' Ray lately. I seem to have gone off the normal life tracks into one coupon induced shopping frenzy after another.

It all started earlier this month. Walgreens started it with that $5RR for those Glucose Meters. I had alot of coupons so I hunted those down for awhile. That gave me lots of $5RRs that I had to roll every 2 weeks or lose. (FYI-the Meters are in the process of being donated to a free medical clinic nearby.)

Then Rite-Aid had a fabulous month to do the Single Check Rebate, so I've been keeping a scorecard going of what I need to purchase each week to turn that MIR deal into a righteous Moneymaker!

Then there were the $10 Qs for Dr. Scholl's Inserts deal I 'stepped' into by accident(yes, I did just make a very lame pun), which gave me $10RR moneymakers that also now have to be rolled every 2 weeks into new RRs with the Bayer Meter RRs. I just finished planning out the 7 scenarios I need to complete tomorrow at Wags to roll the expiring RRs. That only took me an hour. 8-P

I have only dropped into CVS 4 times this month as I'm not an adept enough juggler to keep the Wags & CVS balls in the air simultaneously. The challenge of finding those Neutrogena sunscreen tubes Moneymakers was just too tempting NOT to visit today. BTW-I found some! ;-)

Then I found a long lost grocery love-Shop Rite-has a store that is plausibly close enough for my shopping pleasure. Another possibility for good shopping deals but at a distance.

Then Price Chopper baited us with a puny $7 Cat Deal. I was so starved for any Cat Deal here near Teeny Tiny Town that I swallowed it hook, line & sinker.
Last Wed. through Sat.(after I got my poor dented up car back)is just a haze of cooking, laundry, clipping/organizing 4x inserts from the 5/17 paper & running
back and forth to PC to roll the $7 Cats as many times as I could fit in. PS-I think I got in 23 Transactions before time ran out on the Deal. I won't know until I sit down and go through the pile of receipts!

Admist all this I've been methodically stockpiling paper products most of the month...those Marcal Small Steps items, that I blogged about HERE. With all those great FREE Small Steps Coupons I had plus the ones I traded for and then the ones I broke down and ordered on eBay because we didn't get the FREE $4.00 Valued Item ones, it was all a daze and this past weekend I finally pulled out all those SS Qs I had left and I think I may have a tad of a Couponing problem!


OK....I KNOW I have too many.

Way.
Too.
Many.

This isn't usually a problem but with a lack of focus on using these up, I find myself swimming in them and guess when they expire?

Go ahead, guess!

Did you say this Sunday, May 31st?

Of course you did.

And you are Correct!

So I spent Sunday night planning out my route with my other errands, so I can hit all the store that carry these items and hopefully use them all up before THIS Monday.

This is trickier than it sounds. Certain stores only carry the single t.p. rolls, while others carry the 3 pack Towels(for hubby, I don't do pts), and still others carry the 4 roll t.p. packages & some carry the single rolls and the facial tissues, etc. etc. etc.

I was successful today in using 30 single t.p. roll Qs, 7 facial tissue box Qs, 5 $1/1 Qs on napkins(I know, I know....I still use paper napkins sometimes and not cloth), 1 pack of p.t.s & 14 packs of 4 roll t.p. Monday I had to run out for some Memorial Day BBQ things and picked up 40 single roll t.p.s while I was at the store. I think if I show my face in that store again, the cashier who checked me out will have a nervous breakdown.
And I can't have THAT on my conscious.

Here's a pic of the Qs I have left....

Each of those paper clipped stacks is 20 Qs. There are 7 Free Facial Tissue Qs, 23 Free up to $4 Item Qs and I don't even know how many $1/1 Qs....maybe 40? I'm too tired(or would that be scared?) to count them.

I started out with about 250 Qs total, so I've still got some work to do this week. Tomorrow I hope to hit 2 K-Marts & 3 local chain grocers. If those don't prove fruitful then I'll hit the regional chain grocer in Teeny Tiny Town too. I should be able to pick up 20 rolls of tp there at least.


When this week is over, I don't think my family will need to buy t.p. until about Thanksgiving.

That would be Thanksgiving 2012!

Serious.

T.P.

Stockpile.

Anybody want to bet whether I'll get these Qs all used before I either lose my mind or the sands of time run out?

Sluggy-who can stop aaaaanytime....

2 comments:

  1. I sooo felt the same way this past week trying to stockpile the Dr.Peppers before the deal ended. I have my fingers crossed Slugmama. I need to find a great T.P. deal soon or I'll have to pay the dreaded full price.

    Thank you for your insightful and encouraging comment on my post "Overcoming Debt".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a riot! I totally understand getting swept up in couponing, in CAT deals, etc. And especially trying to use up good coupons before an exp date! At least paper products will never expire until you need them :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.