Friday, May 29, 2009

Beat the Clock? More like Stop the Clock Today.

What a day Thursday turned out to be.

I got to the PO to mail off an important document, paid some bills, cleaned some more clutter in the kitchen. Then I went to stash a minivan load of free t.p., paper towels and facial tissue in my storage unit. The Storage Unit I rent to hold my eBay treasures until they get sold, that is. It's half empty now, so plenty of room for all these lovely free paper products until the garage gets fully organized this summer & I have a proper place for my stockpile along side my home canned veggies & jams.

So I'm transferring all the paper products from car to unit and I stepped wrong with my left foot, half on/half off the concrete lip of the floor of the unit & half on the big gravel-y rocks in front of it and a bad 'snapping' noise eminated from said foot.

And a pain shot through the bottom of my foot and made me curse like a longshoreman.

And then I couldn't put weight on the foot.

Thankfully I don't have a manual transmission in my car, so I was able to drive home and stagger/hobble into the house, up the stairs! and into bed. When the kids got home, I called for some ice and my bottle of Darvocet.

So there was no T.P. Coupon redeeming today and Friday doesn't look promising either.
*sigh*

I could slap myself because this same exact thing happened a few months ago, the same injury and in the same exact spot...meaning same exact foot AND on the same exact location at the storage unit!

As Yoda would say, "A Dummy, she is!"

What's worse than not being able to redeem those freebies, is the fact that I missed my daughter's Induction into the National Honor Society tonight(well, last night technically). There was no way I would have been able to walk the distance & navigate the stairs from the parking lot to the auditorium where this shindig was being held. I talked to daughter and she wasn't very broken up about me not being there. She knows I would if I could.....

I was able to make it to the Induction Ceremony 2 weeks ago when she was accepted into the French National Honor Society so this absence isn't so bad.
The French National Honor Society is like the NHS but for High School students who study French and maintain an A average. They light candles and speak in French, then sign the register and get a certificate and a pin, amidst wildly clapping proud parents. Yes, there is nothing like giving a bunch of hormonal teens weapons(sharp pins), live flames(candles)& flammable starters(paper certificates)while they're reciting literature in a foreign tongue. At least they didn't revolt and take us parents in the audience hostage or attempt to storm any Bastilles or anything. ;-)

Here's a picture of daughter getting her certificate. It's too dark but every photo I take in that auditorium turns out that way because the lighting is so bad. She's the big dark blob in the center, next to the light blob, which is her French teacher.

Daughter's French Teacher once told us that daughter has a gift for language. Yes, she didn't get that aptitude from myself and certainly NOT from her father!lol

Daughter took the National French Exam last year and finished in the Top Ten in this region for her Level. Not bad for someone who wasn't raised in a bilingual home or exposed to a foreign language until Middle School. She just breezes through her French classes with minimal effort and gets A's. Daughter says it bores her and won't devote more than the rudimentary time to learning French. Neither her teacher or us, her parents, could talk her into taking the French Exam this year.

Daughter could develop mad skills with her aptitude if she just applied herself. If not French, then some other language. Even showing her that language skills might help pay her way through college(can you say scholorships?) or help her land an interesting job(can you say diplomatic corp?) doesn't seem to affect her attitude. She is too stubborn for her own good.

Gee, where does she get that from I wonder? ;-)

Sluggy-with the bum foot

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your daughters accomplishments. I know that you are proud. I'm so sorry to hear about you injuring your foot. Sounds like you may need to sit this shopping week out. I hope that you feel better soon. If you do post about your shopping trips this week please fell free to leave a link on my "Weekly Shopping Trip" post.

    I love to see how others made out at the grocers.

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about your foot. That really sucks. I am glad to hear about your daughter. Encourage her to take French in college, they may be able to talk to her and see if language is something she could use for a career or just for fun even.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.